Don’t Bin Your Batteries

Residents in South Oxfordshire are being urged by the District Council not to put batteries or other items which could cause a fire in their waste or recycling wheelie bin.

Recently two small fires started in rubbish while it was being transported in waste and recycling trucks.  Both were potentially very dangerous incidents to the crews, other road users and pedestrians.  They also caused delays to collections and could have resulted in significant damage.

The fires were caused by items residents had put in their bins, most likely to have been standard lithium-ion batteries – like the ones found in most mobile phones.

Batteries should be put in a clear plastic bag and left on top of the green recycling bin, while small electrical items, that may also contain batteries, can be put out in a carrier bag alongside the grey refuse bin for separate collection.

Cllr Tony Harbour, Cabinet Member for Waste and Recycling at South Oxfordshire District Council, said: “If an item in a waste truck or at the deport catches fire then it could be extremely dangerous.  I urge all of our residents to check that they are not putting items in their bins which could cause a fire.”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *